UC Santa Barbara Mass Shooting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by He's a Mentalist 1, May 24, 2014.

?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. He's a Mentalist 1

He's a Mentalist 1 Patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    There isn't a need to explain to me anything about your opinion. I value that philosophy and believe it is the only one scientists need or should concern themselves with if they want to. As I am nearly complete with my second degree in physics, I find most philosophy to be bullshit except for logical positivism.

What I said on this message board for ages was more-so not true to what I believe. I tend to argue different viewpoints because I sometimes like to think differently about things than others.

2. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
    Any self respecting and knowledgeable scientist would dismiss you based on this comment.
    That's a very generous description of trolling. If you're adamantly defending and letting people think you hold the position X to be true meanwhile believing that position Y is true you're a true Wittgensteinist indeed. Besides, why should I believe you now after this revelation plus your 6 years disgusting track record?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  3. He's a Mentalist 1

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    I don't think that is how science works or scientists operate.

Most scientists or people I know don't concern themselves with any philosophy and think it is all bullshit. Most of it is, but I happen to like some core aspects of Logical Positivism. Sure, it has its downsides, and I am aware of those, but it's more gratifying than anything else I've come across and I stopped reading most philosophy this year because it's become meaningless to me.

But scientists are dismissed for being crackpots or not producing quality work, not for their personal beliefs. But you wouldn't know that now would you? How's that magic working out for you though, greg?

You don't have to believe me though. My existence doesn't depend on your validation.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
    That is true, but only up to point. Philosophy is not only about how we know but also about how we act, ethics for one. And when it comes to ethics most scientists are servants of Augusto Comte even though many of them might not know it. Although, last time you trid to aggravate me by bringing up Ayn Rand your general comments were entirely different..Kierkegaard right and Nietzsche plus academia rejects her, right? Now this..Nah, you're a fucking troll and a liar.
    Another attempt to aggravate me, fishing in troll lingo right? It doesn't work out cuz reality. Go back to my previous comment on this matter and stop it man.

Just go troll someone else on some other bleachboard.

5. He's a Mentalist 1

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    I read some Kierkegaard, but most of those comments were as they are, just comments. I didn't care whether they aggravated you or not. I was bored at the time, and you responded. If someone else had responded, they may have gotten a different set of responses.

What I am saying now is true. But like I said, I don't care if you believe it or not. Most scientists have no beliefs in the matter when it comes to their work. Their work is independent and is more self-serving. When I decided to do what I wanted to do in the first place, which was physics, it was more for my own want to know more about the place/thing I will die in, instead of being ignorant. I didn't get into this because I wanted to help people, it was entirely selfish, and many others say, "help humanity blah blah blah," but we all know that is in the face of things.

I want to know, and society functioning properly only aides in that quest.

Also, I was never a troll. Just because I like to discuss things even if I don't believe the positions I take in discussing certain matters, does not make me a troll. I never considered myself as such. I'd properly be defined as a Devil's Advocate.

In any case, I am done discussing this. There isn't a need for me to discuss my beliefs on a message board with you of all people. I find that self-defeating and pathetic of me.

6. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
    Umm..after reading this one I'm not sure Wittgenstein should be your choice. Or perhaps you haven't read him and decided to bring him up for fishing purposes as well?

Regardless, I don't have anything to say to you and no desire to change your opinins. Go back to genderqueering will you? It was fun.

7. BigBoogerBot

BigBoogerBot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    It's a crappy situation for everyone involved. Could it have been stopped? Maybe. I think there's some key skills that are not being taught in school or really anywhere outside of certain therapies which could be very important, that is dealing with emotions.

And those are only really taught to certain people who are not already over the edge. Or not taught at all. People have to try and find places to be taught. It's seen as a bad thing to talk to a therapist, but it shouldn't be. It should be normal.

I can relate somewhat to his situation of being a virgin and rejected by women, but my hatred is self centered, so I've only tried to kill myself not hurt others. Nor do I have any plans to hurt anyone.

I had really bad coping skills, and no real knowledge of what the hell was going on in my brain until I was taught after a couple suicide attempts. Still have bad coping skills but a better understanding of what drives me so I can deal with it better now than I could before.

I think we can move forward a good step if as a society we can accept that dealing with emotions is important and something everyone should learn how to do or encourage so isolated people don't just sit there and brood over dumb stuff that just ends up causing issues later on.

Some people are actually mentally incapable of learning, but many others aren't, they just simply are not taught to learn how to deal with emotions.

This could just be a case of a lack of understanding and good coping skills for his emotions. Or maybe he actually had an issue with his brain that couldn't be dealt with. I don't know I'm not an expert. Just my 2 cents.

Cognitive therapy is what I learned. Couldn't think of the name of it until now. Could be really helpful for a lot of people I think.

8. He's a Mentalist 1

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    Emotions are a large aspect, and most people expect parents to teach children how to control them better, but very few nowadays do. Instead, there is always something you can take to deal with those negative feelings even for a brief moment. That, in my opinion, is quite dangerous as it just brushes the problem under the rug. In order to grow, you have to go through that turmoil, and experience bad feelings, and learn from them.
    The fact that you survived what I'd call a great hurdle (overcoming yourself) is a tremendous sign of growth and life experience (imo).

You brought him up, I never mentioned his name in this thread. Search my posts for his name and you won't find it.

9. TimidObserver

TimidObserver ZeroCool

Ratings:
    +266 / -0
    Productive? There is nothing productive that can be done in a thread on bleachexile.com in regard to crazy people deciding to kill other people. Nothing anyone types here is going to accomplish anything productive unless one of you is secretly president Obama or something(Maybe Greg is Obama?)

Moving on, what are you even talking about? Nobody refused this guy treatment or ignored his cries for help. He received plenty of treatment and refused to take the medication that he was given by those treating him. Taking that into consideration, this isn't anyone's fault but his.

10. Deimos

Deimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589 / -0
    yeah, okay. I did my rant. time to move on from this sad story. everyone else can go back to hating on random dead people while making up reasons why they think this guy did it because they knew him oh so well. the only solid advice from here was to make giant billboards around the world saying "don't have enough money for health care? sell your tshirts".

it's not like we have multi-billion dollar spying programs that harvest our data 24/7 or anything like that right? but finding these disturbed people that make constant death threats out in the open with them being even on the fucking police radar is just waaaay too much to handle for us. pathetic

11. TimidObserver

TimidObserver ZeroCool

Ratings:
    +266 / -0
    It isn't the responsibility of law enforcement to treat mental disorders. He was being seen by someone whose responsibility it is to treat mental disorders which means he was "found." He was prescribed medication. He refused it. Not much else to be done other than shoving it down his throat.

EDIT:
    Fixed errors made while sleepy.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
    Ludwig Wittgenstein build the foundation for logical positivism. you've mentioned him by mentioning logical positivism. As well as many others.
    That's like, the lamest joke you have ever made on this forum man.
    Nahh, it more like no one really thinks that if you have problem other people are obligated to help you because otherwise you might start shooting people.

Also, spying programs are totally unrelated so don't bring it up in an unrelated thread in order to cover your big Romnia ass from internetly harms. pathetic. yahh. romania superiority I rock. so pathetic.

13. He's a Mentalist 1

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    No, he didn't. The foundations were built long before Wittgenstein entered. David Hume, Ernst Mach, and Einstein were some of its foundations. Try reading the special theory (and, general theory) of relativity and connect that to positivism's verifiability principles.

In any case you don't have to read Wittgenstein as he isn't the father of it, just a more popular read of it as his Tractus influenced the Vienna circle where logical positivism was birthed practically. I have only read one book by him, and that is it and I didn't really agree heavily with it.

In any case, try reading Ernst Mach's work. Heheavily influenced my views on positivism.

14. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
    Feel free to track it back to Kant or even Plato or Zeno.

15. He's a Mentalist 1

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    Most, if not all of philosophy can be backtracked to Plato. Your previous post was patently false and I was merely pointing out that the core of positivism was not built upon Wittgenstein's work to which you asserted it was.

But nice attempt at trying to save face.

16. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
    Yes but then you can backtrack it to Socrates. Or maybe to Diogenes?

And no Beefy I wasn't trying to save anyone's face, Wittgen is generally considered to be the philosopher who lay foundations of logical positivism by attempting and fooling people like you into thinking that it's possible to separate cognitive meaning of a statement from the existential fact and still have something meaningful on your plate so to say because it's still possible to verify it via dialectical methods of idiotic sophism.

So you see, you're still a troll that's trying to put me down. Or instigate. Or both. You mean genderqueer!

On topic; http://skylerlehto.com/2014/05/28/murder-is-not-inherently-irrational/

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. BigBoogerBot

BigBoogerBot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    I'm glad I never took philosophy. Just the tip of the iceberg is making my head spin. Although I've always been a math sort of person.

18. He's a Mentalist 1

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    No, I am not trying to put you down at all. Unlike you, I don't feel the need to insult someone when they are wrong.

But in any-case, I am not going to go on about this, I know what logical positivism is, and I know Wittgenstein did not lay down its foundations. He only had an influence in the Vienna's circle and that was with Tractus, which mind you, I read this year. I never read Wittgenstein when first delving into logical positivism. Most of my reading was from Ernst Mach.

In any-case, here is the history:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logical-empiricism/

19. greg770

greg770 Nomene tengo

+294 / -3
  20. TimidObserver

TimidObserver ZeroCool

Ratings:
    +266 / -0
    If I were Obama I'd probably have an internet persona similar to yours. Everybody would be fooled.