Quantum Levitation

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by xTHHxAimiForevr, Oct 22, 2011.

1. xTHHxAimiForevr

xTHHxAimiForevr 1st Division: Red Mage

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Yo gravity. Y u mad tho?
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Deimos

Deimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589 / -0
    levitating through magnetism is very very very old and gay. you can order desk floating Earth globes off ebay with that "technology". if you want to do it the right way go with pressured/compact air dynamics or pure vibrations.

3. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Dude. those things don't wrap and seal an entire field around the object allowing you to hold it in any position an spin it upside down.

4. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOtIsnG71U&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]I guess you missed him re-positioning the disc at whatever height he wanted an leaving it there. Yeah, real elementary. Besides there aren't many commercialized tracks with superconductors.

EDIT: It's called quantum trapping
    [​IMG]

5. Deimos

Deimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589 / -0
    Look i'll say it in a more detailed post just so you won't think im trollin' you.

here's a paragraph from the wired:
    First part it explains to you how magnetism works and how it can levitate that low from the superconductor.

And the second part explains how in dynamic/excessive low levels of temperature that it will create an equally "opposing magnetic field and lock it in place" aka lets you manage it in any way you want, like in that video you can play around with it, basically the only discovery that was significant was the fact that they tested it at lower temperatures and found out you can ultimately create an equally opposing force where in the process you can make it levitate. doesn't take a genius to do that. the only thing they had to do was find out how low do they have to go in temperature so you can create an equal opposing force and levitate it.

the rest is just pure magnetism which we already knew since 5th grade.

6. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    [​IMG]
    because finding out something like that is so not a big deal

Oh, and what year is that article?

EDIT: OMFG! What's the fail scale on you right now! That article was made 4 days ago and it features my posted video!
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/10/quantum-levitation/

7. Deimos

Deimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589 / -0
    This has been known for a veeery long time and places like NASA have probably tested it before decades ahead, at this point it's just a really cool trick that the college students did in the UK. In theory there's like an infinite projects out in the open as far as physics go they just don't have time to do them all. But yea, this is a really cool trick & I can assure you it's been thought of from back when they started working on nanotechnology. You can even look it up.

8. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Lolz, not the way you can apparently [​IMG]

9. Deimos

Deimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589 / -0
    i know you probably found the whole story on youtube and thought that floating thingy is really cool and all but seriously, there are like literally billions of better experiments that aren't mass produced or widely known to the public, like for example, how to create mini black holes or how they've found the path where fractals disappear at a certain distance from our dimension, goes into another one and then comes back. etc.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/superconductor-fractals/

but yea, the floating magnetic thingy rly genius stuff, thats why it's on every possible tv channel right now. it's rly going to revolutionize our mass production of UFO's in the future. tru dat. keep on levitatin'.

10. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Hellz yeah I'll check em' out (I've seen a SCi Ch. special on fractals), but this isn't exactly "let's derail the thread" time. people were lurking for a minute and couldn't find the decency to post their own two damn cents.
    [​IMG]

11. ryuuga

ryuuga Gatekeeper

Holding the door to the brain of the world
    Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    Yeah that'd probably be me, it's just that while the video was rather impressive looking there have been experiments with superconducting magnets and dimagnetic levitation going on for a long time and I didn't see the need to make a redundancy.

12. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Yeah, because those previous "publicized" experiments made such a splash in the darkness of their basement that it echoed through the internet loud enough to inspire Wired to write that article 4 days ago. :rollseyes:

And here I was just wanting to talk about science (that apparently everyone else is already an expert in and or bored with).

13. pumpkin13

pumpkin13 CAPTAIN BADASS

Ratings:
    +624 / -0
    I know maglev as an idea has been around for a while, there's a public one in operation in Shanghai and I think Japan somewhere as well. But the trapping of that potentially breads whole knew ideas, like where tracks were previously impossible to lay, running along sheer cliff walls etc.

14. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    ah the beauty of speculation. that's what I'm talking about.

I know the Shinkansen runs on a magnetic rail, but that stacking thing he did in the second video was pretty awesome. I wonder if when you adjust the height you could have two trains running on the same track in different directions, one on top the other without touching? Crazy production value right there.

15. ryuuga

ryuuga Gatekeeper

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    This old enough for you? Same basic process just less refined and not using a purpose built superconductor. Then there's this which is from '06, which while still a bit less advanced is almost identical right down to the superconductor material. The only major difference is that in that video the superconductor isn't being cooled enough to produce the Meissner effect to lock it in place as in the video you posted.

16. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Oh, but discovering that you can lock it in place surly isn't newsworthy at all.

I get what you're saying about the second vid, and it'd be nice if it wasn't just a clip from wikipedia but more openly received. Though the first link is more of an observational article based off nature than an actual experiment.

This guys comment from the main article hit the nail on the head:

"Levitation is one thing, obviously not new. But the locking of the object in 3D space while letting it continue to move freely along the axis of the magnet? I haven't seen anyone do that before."

Imagination time:

Let's say you're Willy Wonka. You're experimenting and you discover a way to make the flavor in gum last forever. But then you have a sea of trollfags coming at you saying; "You won't be chewing the gum forever so why bother?" or "Why make that when you can just use more than one piece?". How would you feel? You know personally that there's a difference, small or not, and that difference has potential. Maybe not in candy, maybe not in anything apparently practical or useful at that point in time. But if there's anything it does do, no matter how small, it opens up discovery. And ya know what I say to that?

SCIENCE! FUCK YEAH!

17. ryuuga

ryuuga Gatekeeper

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    ^
    It was indeed an actual experiment. As for the new demonstration I suppose the main reason I'm not more excited than I am is that I've known that this was theoretically possible for a while, so while it's still really cool it doesn't seem like a huge breakthrough from nowhere like it would if I hadn't known of the high probability of it happening.

18. xTHHxAimiForevr

Ratings:
    +86 / -0
    Whateves man. All I know is that I just got the fuck bored outta me spending two pages trying to keep this shit alive. You guys win. You can go bump up the Obama chicken thread now.

19. dyne

dyne Evol Staff Member

Ratings:
    +424 / -0
    great now time for a force field

20. Abigor

Abigor Yare yare..

Ratings:
    +53 / -0
    So what was so "Quantum" about it? I didn't quite understand. Feels like quantum is the new "cool science world", like nuclear used to be.