Female Thor (... and, some other Marvel News)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by He's a Mentalist 1, Jul 19, 2014.

1. He's a Mentalist 1

He's a Mentalist 1 Patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    The TIMES editor has some things wrong but still...

http://time.com/3001549/marvel-thor-female/

In terms of Captain America, why is Falcon taking up the shield and no mention of Isaiah Bradley, who was the first Captain America (in terms of how the science experiment were conducted; introduced in '03 canon)? I have no issues on this front because Captain America is just a title, not specifically geared towards one individual, and there have been a few other Captain America's. What I don't like about this is that Falcon is taking up the shield which is idiotic as his fighting style is different from the average Captain America's fighting style. Dumb, dumb, move, and it seems they are trying to play off the film's success.

As for Thor, I don't like this especially because Thor isn't a title, and Marvel seems to be itching at trying to make it a title. I believe they are trying to make Thor more variable and you know what happens then, Superman becomes a variable title as well. Instead of expanding upon the already established characters, Marvel is seeking to just change the outside. It is lazy and idiotic. Soon we will have a film/comic series with 17 Supermen/women with different colors, looking like fucking rainbowmen/women. :suspicious:

Marvel needs to focus on characters they do have instead of trying to be the hot-topic of the day. There are many black and female characters I do happen to like and have wanted marvel to push more like Storm and Black Panther. Their relationship is interesting and, especially Black Panther's history is more interesting and he could be his own movie imo, but they don't focus on him for some asinine reason and want to introduce Falcon as the new C.A. all for some publicity stunt? :finger: (They could have used Isaiah Bradely's son, who is more like Captain America than Falcon)

Scarlett Witch is one of my favorite characters in just about all of the comics I've read, but no fucking film yet? Marvel needs to get a grip and stop this bullshit.

2. seiftis

seiftis <font color="#007DC8"><b>~Phantom Miria</b></font>

Ratings:
    +100 / -0
    i'm liking the female thor outlook

3. He's a Mentalist 1

He's a Mentalist 1 Patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / -8
    It won't last once the comic sales take a dip. The community that buys them are not feeling this new change to Thor. It won't last a year it seems. Maybe Marvel can make it up with a new reader base?

4. Koshka_Goddess

Koshka_Goddess the north remembers Staff Member
    1. A Song of Ice & Fire

lurking in essos, like a fart in the wind
    Ratings:
    +594 / -1
    that will depend on the writing. if it is quality story, then the haters will come around. if not, then ...

5. CakeSpoon

CakeSpoon bigger than jesus

Ratings:
    +291 / -2
    the problem with both of these is that, besides the normal idiocy of these stunts on both the for and against side, they're ultimately pointless. in a year or two all these changes get reverted as they realise that people are invested in steve rogers, not his uniform. same happened before when he was replaced by bucky, or when they've temporarily replaced batman and a number of others. and it'll be repeated again later, to the exact same response.

the only difference is, potentially, falcon as captain america might stick for a bit longer. it's probably still unlikely, but given how marvel is set up now, they may be preparing for the fact that chris evans is no longer interested in acting.

the way they've handled the thor thing is dumb though, thor is his name, it's not a title. and while people are cheering for "representation" or some nonsense, they're losing two original and fleshed out characters in the process. hardly a step forward

6. TimidObserver

TimidObserver ZeroCool

Ratings:
    +266 / -0
    As a Thor fan, that is extremely disappointing. Hopefully this only applies to the comic books because I have always ignored those anyway. Hopefully the movies remain as they are with the actors that they already have. I mean, who changes the gender of a well known mythological figure?

I am fine with the Captain America change. Captain America is the code name of a super hero, but Thor is a god's name. A black Captain America does not change the identity of Captain America nor does it change the identity of a mythological figure that exists outside of the Marvel Universe.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. Di_roy#1

Di_roy#1 Nagareboshi

Ratings:
    +76 / -0
    Talking about Marvel, I just read Planet Hulk and it was pretty badass. Silver Surfer makes an appearance so I read up on him. Silver Surfer is a boss!

8. JoyfullJuneBug

JoyfullJuneBug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    From what I read it won't effect the movies only the comic books they should have turned his sister into an original character that uses his hammer from time to time. She looks awesome hope she is made into original character at the end of this story arc!

9. Elarius

Elarius I am the law

Ratings:
    +139 / -0
    Strange decision, they could have just introduced Freya or maybe focus on Lady Sif even more.

10. RED★

RED★ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / -0
    Female Thor meh...

Nice sig Elarius

11. ismey

ismey scottish guy

Ratings:
    +53 / -0
    Hes a mentalist should play thor, or RED.

12. deadman_crow

deadman_crow Neko of the ±th

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    it is odd that they would change thor to a female, i read that thor had become unworthy of the hammer after he lost his arm or somethign so a female warrior ended up being able to use it and become the new thor.

13. Deimos

Deimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589 / -0
    In 2042, female Thor will lose a leg and will be replaced by a transman.