Bleach Chapter 489 Discussion

Discussion in 'Bleach Manga' started by Koshka_Goddess, Apr 18, 2012.

?

rate the chapter

1. 1- fail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5- meh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  8. 8

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  9. 9

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. 10- winrar

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snqrls

snqrls Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    Another essay... so is this golden week or what?

2. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / -0
    apparently.

even though golden week is actually NEXT week.

manga stream still says nothing til early may-ish, but i think they got their weeks wrong and don't realize there's another publication before break.

3. TimidObserver

TimidObserver ZeroCool

Ratings:
    +266 / -0
    If what Mayuri said to Uryu is true, then the SS went well beyond just eradicating the Quincy.

The SS is the bad guy in this to me. It doesn't seem like they sent Shinigami to stop the Quincy that were causing trouble. I imagine that not all of them were all on a hollow killing spree. It sounds like they attempted to end Quincy existence entirely and indiscriminately( and occassionally dissected, tested on, mutilated, and tortured them if Mayuri can be believed.)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. mkewell83

mkewell83 Mr. Gone

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    I think it makes more sense for the sadism to have been restricted to Mayuri and perhaps a few of his researchers. When it was decided that the Quincy couldn't be trusted to not kill hollows Mayuri probably just asked Yamamo...you know it's funny I just realized, or maybe remembered, that the Quincy extermination was well before the science and research institute even existed. So for Mayuri to have Quincy to experiment on there had to have been decent numbers running around decades after they should've all been dead. What's more it didn't seem like they were in hiding fearful to come out lest the shinigami find them and finish what they started. Rather they seemed to be more like the dregs of a thoroughly conquered nation.

Anyway my point seems to be that the fact there were enough Quincies to sate Mayuri's thirst for knowledge and pain seems to suggest that either the shinigami were very sloppy in their genocide (letting Quincy run around breeding for over a century) or their intention was never truly to eradicate the Quincy, just to show them that destroying spirits is serious business and make sure they never dared to get seriously organized again.

I can honestly say this never even crossed my mind before now. And I'm really not sure how I would feel about it if KT pulled something like that.

What would even be the rationale behind such a deception? SS seems authoritarian enough that if they wanted to be the only ones allowed to kill spirits they could just claim that right, but if the balance didn't exist why would they even care who else was taking out hollows? Fear of another organization becoming as strong as them? Maybe, but that doesn't fit Yama's character at all and I'd think he'd have to be involved in a controversy that big.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness (not really).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / -0
    it's the systems of control thing, and kubo has been pointing towards it for a long time. ichigo is your classic anti-establishment hero character, and SS is pretty much the embodiment of The System.

Ether's approach is a variation on it though... i've always looked at the balance thing as a "necessary evil" instead of "artificial construct intended for control".

We can only hope kubo tackles that whole thing, and does it well enough to be more than a crappy cliche/matrix spinoff.

6. <_AmaterasU_>

<_AmaterasU_> Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    What is also interesting me is not only the quincy/vandenreich backstory and history ( where the hell have they been all these years), but their abilities.

Some thoughts/observations

- The normal soldiers had a quincy cross shaped like a pentacle but without the circle (just like Ivan), while Kirge's has a circle. So obv more elaborate cross = more power, but I wonder if there exists even more powerful crosses.

- I also think tht these guys are so much more than regular quincy in their fighting style. Given what we know about quincy fighting style so far, a bow is the main weapon. However Kirge forges a fully fledged sword (albeit with arrow like projectiles). and it wasn't no flimsy seele schneider either

- Also how did the king kill Ivan and the other dude...its almost like he flicked a finger and BOOM, headshot lol also i just don't see him fighting with a bow for some reason...he looks too badass to even hold a bow lol can't wait to see him actually fighting

- What are these shadows? Doesn't seem quincy like...

- If Ivan was an arrancar, how come he had a bow and medallion. can just anyway get one of those and have quincy powers??

The vandenreich could be extremist/rogue/elite quincy and not the regular quincy we've come to know...then again its still too early to tell

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  7. Wookster

Wookster Member

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    The Quincy could be like the sith. Hide in plain sight (or an ice palace in another dimension).

8. skycrapper

skycrapper Listening to Hatsune Miku ^3^

Ratings:
    +407 / -0
    If Kubo has to stop Bleach due to financial issues, then he'd be better AT LEAST end the story.

Not hanging unending like Clamp's "X".

9. m2licee

m2licee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67 / -0
    Are we sure there is no release this week? does anyone know what issue this week's Jump is? Because i'm on the WSJ site and it says One Piece has a Colour Cover and Lead page, and i haven't read a One Piece chapter with a colour page for the past 40 chapters, could it be this week's chapter that has the colour page?

Someone tell me what issue this week's jump is or would have been, or better yet what issue was last week's jump.

Cronik you are probably right, there might be a release this week(hopeful)

(5mins later) Apparently there is no WSJ this week. Sad.

10. Bankai - Ichigo

Bankai - Ichigo Dragon King

Ratings:
    +484 / -0
    As Cronik said, the whole thing about Soul Society seeming to be an antagonist or control freak type thing (read: "Designated Hero" Trope) is what Kubo has been pointing to this whole time, seems like. I won't insult you for not realizing it, but still, I did think for a while that it seemed sort of obvious.

And yeah, I agree, it's actually really likely, at least IMO, that Soul Society decided to act authoritative and not wipe out all of the Quincy in one go to show their power and try to say, "Hey, stop destroying Hollows or will eliminate all of you". Mayuri and his researchers seem to have been the only ones who wanted to dissect and torture the Quincy, he did also point out, after all, that he bribed the Shinigami who were coming to save those Quincy, to make them get there late on purpose. So that the Hollows would already have almost killed them by the time they were "saved". Then Mayuri would have his test subjects. It's all Mayuri's doing.

Looking at how the Spirit King has so far been portrayed, and how Mayuri destroyed 28,000 souls just to try to maintain the balance of souls, has me agreeing with Cronik about the "necessary evil" thing, as far as the balance is concerned.

@<_AmaterasU_>: Agreed.

@m2licee: I hope there's a chapter this week, too. Air Gear at least doesn't seem to have gone on break (granted we do get their chapters in scanlated form a bit late, but still).

11. m2licee

m2licee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67 / -0
    I don't read Air Gear. Tried it, didn't like it.

12. Bankai - Ichigo

Bankai - Ichigo Dragon King

Ratings:
    +484 / -0
    Let me guess; the "pseudo-Science" and seemingly non-understandable things made you stop? It's better, so if you can, try picking up on it again, though you might need to try to pay as much attention to detail as you can.

If you just flat out didn't like it, then forget what I just said.

13. The_Heart

The_Heart Why Don't You Understand?

Ratings:
    +31 / -0
    Concerning Bleach tanking, people are forgetting one main thing, Kubo's main audience, the Japanese. While a lot of people didn't like the second half of the Arrancar arc the Japanese ate it up. Kubo said it lasted as long as it did because they liked it. The only reason the Fullbring arc didn't do well in Japan was because there was no Shinigami, Japan love their Shinigami. As soon as they appeared and the last arc kicked off I believe Bleach is in third (or was it fifth?) again in terms of ratings. As long as Kubo keeps satisfying his main audience he'll easily be able to carry on Bleach for as long as he needs it to.

Which is fine by me since I never truly lost hope in Bleach.

Edit: The Bleach anime ending is a bad way to compare how good the manga is doing. Rurouni Kenshin anime ended because of bad filler. The manga on the other hand had a great last arc. The other reason is length. If Bleach really does continue on for 9 years then perhaps it's best the anime goes on hiatus. Basically what Inuyasha did.

14. snqrls

snqrls Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    japanese clearly have crappy taste.

15. The_Heart

Ratings:
    +31 / -0
    You have to look at it from a cultural standpoint. The Japanese society is a very hard working society. They have cram schools for their cram schools. Pure blooded Japanese are dying out because they no time for sex. People commit suicide because of their work load. Japan is all about work. It's why manga is so popular there, one of their few escapes from work. It's also probably why bleach does so well. People aren't so much concerned with quality there as they are with simply wanting to escape from the real world, which Bleach gives them that.

16. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / -0
    air gear is shit. it's aesthetically-pleasing shit, but shit nonetheless. tenjou tenge or whatever was MUCH better in every regard, and from the same dude. also, saying "pay more attention to detail" is exactly the WORST advice you can give to air gear; the less you "learn" from that manga the better. unless you're willing to turn your brain off when he explains physics and shit, you're going to get dumber reading that pos... and if you're already bright, you're better off pretending the completely-wrong-science of the manga doesn't exist.

as for bleach, i didn't think the last half of arrancar arc was that bad. it wasn't as good as SS, but it still wasn't horrible. it wasn't until the final fight and FB arc that kubo REALLY tanked the series. and bringing SS into the FB arc solidified it in the annuals of shit... regardless of what the japanese may think.

17. Dinan5iver

Dinan5iver Member

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    In truth there is very little work to go around for many Japanese today, particularly the young, since the ruling class and the government they own have conspired to crush wages and the return on savings for retirees. The central bank of Japan was the first to push the zero interest percentage loans (ZIRP) that actually served as the engine of the housing bubbles that blew up around the world from 2002 to 2007. This mad policy continues even though Japan is in the grip of a deflationary spiral.

This policy was a boon to the kings of Japan--the major exporters, but screwed everyone else. The Japanese people aren't dying out because they have no time for sex, sex takes an hour; the Japanese birth rates are plummeting because the youth there cannot secure stable, living wage jobs with which to raise families. I agree with you about manga being an important source of distraction though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mkewell83

mkewell83 Mr. Gone

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    It's funny how extensive the thread deviates when we don't get our weekly issue to fixate on.

I had trouble with Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge for the same reason: Oh Great's ADHD. I would literally scour the internet in between chapters thinking I'd missed like 5 of them, but no, he just likes to stop in the middle of an arc and start another one, continue it for 3-4 chapters then explain how we got here from where he jumped. The artwork is magnificent, and that's what allowed me to keep with TT 'till it finally ended, but reading his stuff is like listening to my 5yo nephew talk about what he learned in karate over a bad phone connection: disjointed, non-linear, rambling and off-topic.

Anyway, the bad physics is just his version of magic. The only real difference between Scifi and Fantasy is in the former they attribute their magic to scientific advances, but it's all the same applied phlebotinum.

Okay, so I feel really bad about being completely off-topic, but most of the issue has already been beaten to death.
    Um, did we ever confirm who the black-haired chick in the first panel is? She definitely looks like Rukia to me, but it makes more sense for her to be Hinamori considering Rukia isn't seated.

19. snqrls

snqrls Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    in sci-fi the only magic source is the amount of energy they need to make things happen, which is usually explained away by cold fusion or something along those lines. But OG hasn't even brought that up, and this as an aside, he's been exagerating things completely unrelated to airtrek for a while now.

20. The_Heart

Ratings:
    +31 / -0
    Thank you for that information. It is insightful, but I don't see how that changes their work ethic. Even if they can't find jobs they'll look for work anyway (take the crappy jobs no one else wants). These people are workaholics by nature, regardless of how the economy is doing. And work does contribute to having less sex. I work two jobs, do you think I feel like having sex or doing anything else for that matter after coming home from work, nope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.